Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux Live USB install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am banging my head here.
    I'm trying to install the 64 bit version. I've tried putting it on a USB stick from a macbook, a linux box and a windows machine. I've used different usb sticks, unique downloads of the iso and different installation tools. Installs to USB fine, fails on boot up with very similar messages along the lines of failed sector.
    Can't see anyone complaining of the same problems. It's utterly bizarre. I don't expect anyone to fix this, just wanted to vent steam.
    Just tried installing ubuntu on one of the sticks, boots up fine. I would say it's a fundamental problem with the ISO but clearly others would have it too. Very confused.

So I have a major issue. I downloaded kali 64 bit, put it on a flash drive using the guide you guys have and followed all of them to try and install it. I partitioned my drives and went to install the system but I just got an error about halfway through saying it cant install the system. so now the only way I can even use my pc at the moment is to launch Kali Linux live through my usb. So my question is, what do I do to get it to install correctly? I encrypted one of my drives during the first half of setting everything up so I don't know if I'm screwed now? Maybe I can get a friend to put everything on his usb and try to install it again?

Installing to a USB / removable media:
    You may follow other directions to install to a DVD.
    For USB / flash media devices, the scheme seems to go like this:
    Download the ISO to somewhere.
    dd the ISO to somewhere, maybe a USB / flash / removable media.
    DO NOT try to update, upgrade or dist-upgrade the target (of=) of the dd.
    Now boot to the USB / flash / removable media
    Finally, select the Install to a different USB / flash / removable media with AT LEAST 12 GB of storage. You MUST have a network connection available for a long time; I do not yet understand why, but it will not reliable install unless it can see the Internet.
    Choose your partitioning, etc. as your disks, USB, flash or other media permit.
    I worked this for a couple of weeks to learn these conditions.
    Please contribute when / as you are able.
    weasel

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Installing to a USB / removable media:
    Choose your partitioning, etc. as your disks, USB, flash or other media permit.
    I worked this for a couple of weeks to learn these conditions.
    Please contribute when / as you are able.
    weasel
    Oh dear, that sounds like a mess. Plus when I try dd-ing from my macbook it creates a non-bootable USB

What a pity. Never had any problems with any live USB distro before. I'm pretty frustrated with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by samuri View Post
    Oh dear, that sounds like a mess. Plus when I try dd-ing from my macbook it creates a non-bootable USB

What a pity. Never had any problems with any live USB distro before. I'm pretty frustrated with this one.
    Just to help then.
    I tried writing to DVD which worked perfectly. No idea why I had problems with USB but it's clear I'm not the only one.
    If you're still having issues with USB, try writing to a DVD and see if that works.

Which program did u use to burn the iso into a DVD? :3

Hi Juan,
    I took K3b. It works with gnome, too.

Regards,
    MGS

Hey what's up. im having problems when booting it from my SanDisk Cruzer Micro usb stick. It does not boot, but my bios recognizes the USB.
    My laptop is an HP and has Windows 8 installed. I disabled secure boot and legacy support.
    Is there any incompatibility between HP and SanDisk USB's?
    If not, why does it not boot? I burned it with Unetbootin and LiLi and any of them worked.

Thanks in advance^^

Good evening muts,

I'm sorry, I've seen the hint to post problems with the live usb-installation here too late. So I do it now again - here.
    I've installed Kali Linux 1.0.5 with unetbootin 5.85 and along with the named document "Kali Linux Live USB install". The article was quiet good and easy to work with it.

The installations worked both. That one with unetbootin and the official one.
    My problem is, that no installation starts, allthough USB-Booting is allowed in the BIOS.

Is here anybody who has a good idea, what my mistake is?

TIA,
    MGS

Hello everyone, I finally booted Backtrack and Kali Linux from USB, but now I have a problem and its that both dont recognize my wireless card :S. I booted it on my notebook(small one) and works without problems.
    My laptop is an HP Pavilon g6 Notebook PC and has Windows 8.
    Anyone knows how to fix it?

Thanks in advance, Juan.

I was installing kali linux on my windows7 pc from usb.During installation,I did something wrong(during memory partition) and now my usb size is reduced from 3.76GB to2.35GB.Please,help on how to fix it.

I used dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=512k to create my usb thumb drive install of kali 1.05. It works well until I boot into windows 7 and try to add a file to the thumb drive. Windows 7 says the drive is unformatted and offers to format it for me. I used fdisk -l and the partition type is 17 a Hidden IFS (e.g., HPFS) partition. I then tried LiLi to create a bootable thumb drive and it writes out the file, everything boots fine, but it looks like the files and folders are a little different between the 2 different methods of writing the iso to the thumb drive.
    1) Why can't windows write files to the drive when I use dd to write out the iso?
    2) Why do the 2 methods (dd vs LiLi) create slightly different layouts?
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss!

Does anyone know for sure that Kali Linux is bootable from a USB with the Series 3 Chromebook?

I've used this guide here from Kali's docs, using the 1.0.6 ARMHF Kali, but I'm running into this error: ERROR: cgpt add: GptSanityCheck() returned 2: GPT_ERROR_INVALID_HEADERS. This happens after trying cgpt add for KERN-A or KERN-B.

I have:
    [LIST][*]Confirmed the location of the USB at /dev/sda[*]Quadruple checked commands entered[*]Checked SHA1 sum

Cgpt show /dev/sda throws back the same error.

Any ideas?

Put on usb kali 1.06 amd64. after reboot-windows 8.1 hangs, nothing works. 2 times pereustanavlival windows.

Will all the services work when you do everything in the tutorial. Because I did it and I cannot install nvidia drivers can someone help me. PM me please

Installing from a live CD directly to a USB pendrive worked flawlessly for me.

Used a USB 3.0, 16GB scandisk. Grub had issues with installing automatically. I had to specify the Master Boot Record to be set to (in my case) /dev/sdc.

I've tried to install KALI live usb
    then I make a persistence mode and successfully,
    but when i update repository and after the restart and only appear blank screen, even though I've been following the appropriate instructions here.

No one knows the solution?

Hi everyone. I've been trying to integrate Kali (as substitution to BT5) into the pretty old Katana multiboot "environment" (if it doesn't ring a bell, you can pertain it as simply multiboot pendrive using syslinux; you place each of your distros into separate folder and add apropriate boot menu section to .cfg file) using guidelines have been laid in this topic, generally with success (it boots in live mode), but there is a thing that bothers me. BT5 didn't have "tools", "pool" and "dists" folder in the root of iso image. What should I do with theese? Should I place them in the folder with live image of kali, or in the root of pendrive? Or probably some another options should be added to kernel parameters string? My ultimate goal is to not only make it bootable, but also ready to be installed from the pendrive, won't the absense of aforementioned folders prevent or somehow break setup process?

Hi guys,

I'm the developper behind LinuxLive USB Creator and I'm trying to find a way to make Kali live USB with persistence in a file.

I tried a few boot options such as persistence-path,persistence-storage but none worked so far.

Can you help me ?

Hello, i'm tying to install Kali on a usb key but i'm not able to.

I downloaded the iso (i tried 32 and 64...), i tried many tools : unetboot, win32 disk manager, linux live USB creator universal linux boot... But everytime when i tried to boot on the key, it's not working, the boot is not detected, i tried the key on 3 computers and it's the same.

This is how i do :
    - i format the key using SD formatter
    - i run a boot creator program ( unetboot, Linux live USB creator...) then i follow the process, i add the iso file then start... I wait until the program says it's done.
    - Retart the computer change the boot priority to usb.

But it does'nt start, the key is not detected as bootable...

What's wrong ? Can you help ?

This my first time using this forum and I may have posted in the incorrect place with my first post! I have created a usb boot drive with Kali 32 and booted to a win7 machine. I get Invalid or corrupt kernel image' when I choose the any of the live versions. I have searched for solutions and followed some suggestions but it still does it! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

after numerous attemps i finally managed to put a working image on my usb, i had to use win32 disk imager, why do i have to use windows to install a linux distro?!
    anyway:
    dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k failed
    unetbootin failed
    other programs failed

I successfully used Win32 Disk Manager (see thread)

-e

Im having problems with acer aspire v5-122p-0408

ive made a bootable usb
    set bios to boot it. and it skips right over to my hard drive on boot
    the drive looks correct when i open the files open in ubuntu
    i wrote the amd 64 iso version to a brand new 8 gig usb drive from terminal.

can anyone help out?

Hello All !

I just installed Kali Linux on a bran new USB 3.0 stick, and it works really well. It runs very quickly from the stick, so nice that I almost don't see the difference from running from a hard-drive (I not doing anything very I/O intensive though). That new USB 3.0 pen-drive has 150 Mb/s read speed, and 70 Mb/s write speed (according to the maker) and I think that's what really makes a difference.

Btw, I created the Live USB directly from Mac OS by following the instructions here : How to create a bootable USB stick on OS X. The main difference with the steps on the Kali Live USB install page resides in converting the .iso file to a .img file before copying it with dd on the stick.

Anyway, it's working now with a persistence partition that I would like to mount automatically each time I boot on the key instead of adding the "persistence" string at the end of the boot command.

Where can I change that boot line ? I tried finding a grub.cfg or menu.lst file on the key, no success, and I'm not super familiar with the boot sequence on such a Linux system.

Thanks for any help,
    Paul-Henri

Hello everyone!

I got Kali Linux iso to mount, can boot from external no problem

Once it lods it asks for a user/pass. Everywhere I have read states that user/pass is root/toor, if not that then it's "what you set it to when you installed." Well seeing as how root/toor tried every which way doesn't work and there was no actual install process as I'm booting live, what do I do?? I'm more than a little frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Katalio View Post
    Once it lods it asks for a user/pass. Everywhere I have read states that user/pass is root/toor, if not that then it's "what you set it to when you installed." Well seeing as how root/toor tried every which way doesn't work and there was no actual install process as I'm booting live, what do I do?? I'm more than a little frustrated
    Did you check you keyboard layout ? If you're using a non US keyboard, it might be that some of the letters end-up different from what you're typing.

Hope this helps,
    Paul-Henri

thank you

i have a problem booting from usb

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
    then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
    i used my computer (64 bit) to download and create the usb
    any help???ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by mastrock View Post

i've downloaded amd64 kali linux and used the provided ls-creator then tried to boot ...after choosing usb key from boot menu instead it boots from the hdd (starting windows )
    then i put default boot from usb tried again but nothing changed ( my current windows is a 64 bit and have a good rig ...an msi mobo z87...f that matter ) ....but then i took that usb stick and pluged it to another desktop (running 32 bit windows 7) and boot from usb WORKS smoothly so obviously the prob is in my computer but i dont know what the **** it is
    any help???ideas??

Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

i am having a problem with live booting on the USB, when i installed it it said the usb can be corupt. It boots up and go to the screen, but when i try the live boot. it always fails heres a picture of when i go in live
    http://i.gyazo.com/0fb729e348be9ef0d165de4b32a967e7.png
    Last edited by USBhub; 2014-04-21 at 13:37.

I followed the procedure for creating a live USB using Ubuntu, I've created my USB by typing: dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1
    The process finish, and return's me ok.. But when I restart my PC and I boot from USB, I obtain the following error: error loading operating system

Quote Originally Posted by simo8989 View Post
    I followed the procedure for creating a live USB using Ubuntu, I've created my USB by typing: dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1
    The process finish, and return's me ok.. But when I restart my PC and I boot from USB, I obtain the following error: error loading operating system
    Hi there, you need to dd the iso to the drive, not the partition.

Straight from the Kali guide:

dd if=kali.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=512k

Thank you for the reply sorry but Im new to the linux world, and i can't understand what do you mean by saying "you need to dd the iso to the drive" because my kali iso is inside the path i've specified after if (if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso) do i need to mount the iso file? thank you in advance

No, you don't need to mount it.

Your command before was:
    dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb1

Notice the 1 after sdb. This is telling dd to put the contents of kalilinux.iso on the first partition of sdb1.

You need dd to place it on the drive, not the partition.

dd if=\home\simone\scaricati\kali-linux\kalilinux.iso of=\dev\sdb bs=512k

Make sure that sdb is your Usb drive before you start or you could wipe something unexpected.

Edit: make sure you run the command as root

Quote Originally Posted by mastrock View Post

any help???ideas??
    Are you EFI booting?

how to fix wierless not detect in kali linux,

No boot after install

Hi i got problems with booting Kali, hope someone would help.
    I booted up Kali in VMware Workstation and installed to a usbstick from there using the installer. It went well.
    I rebooted the computer and booted from the usbstick and get some kind of error and the systemboot is postponed.

Got a picture here: http://postimg.org/image/jo2wedcx7/

I had no trouble doing this with BackTrack, tried it just before i installed Kali on it. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G2 16GB.

I have "Kingston 32Gb 3.0" is it good for persistence installation?

Second question is that i am new to Linux is there any step-by-step
    tutorial for "Kali usb persistence Installation"?

Quote Originally Posted by kamachi View Post
    Hi i got problems with booting Kali, hope someone would help.
    I booted up Kali in VMware Workstation and installed to a usbstick from there using the installer. It went well.
    I rebooted the computer and booted from the usbstick and get some kind of error and the systemboot is postponed.

Got a picture here: http://postimg.org/image/jo2wedcx7/
    I had no trouble doing this with BackTrack, tried it just before i installed Kali on it. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler G2 16GB.
    Hey, I got almost the same problem. I installed Kali Live with use of the "dd" command in terminal on a usb.
    When I try to boot from the usb I get a black screen and then ~6 rows of text shows.

"numbers..." [sdc] no caching mode found
    "numbers..." [sdc] assuming driver cache: writh through

after that it resumes to boot ubuntu.
    My usb stick has two partions, one on sdc and the second (this is the 3,95 Gb part where I installed Kali Live) is sdc1.
    Do you think this has something to do with it? and how could I solve this?

thankful for answears

I have an Windows 8 PC with an msi motherboard. i used the 64bit amd kali version and mounted it on my usb stick with the universial usb installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/)

when i boot from the usb stick i am able to enter the kali linux menu where i press the live amd64bit mask. (but there is no difference when i press somethin else) then the distribution starts with the text floating over the screen and after that the screen becomes dark and stays like this. i waited 10 minutes but nothin changes, so for me it is not possible to start the distribution.

anybody offers help for this issue?

Does anyone know how to boot live USB Kali on a Samsung Chromebook?

I have created the bootable USB. When I plug it into my PC and select top boot from it, it just doesn't do a thing. It opens a black screen with a blinking _ , goes down one line and keeps blinking the _. That is all it does. Is there any fix to this, or can I at least know why this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaapyse View Post
    I have created the bootable USB. When I plug it into my PC and select top boot from it, it just doesn't do a thing. It opens a black screen with a blinking _ , goes down one line and keeps blinking the _. That is all it does. Is there any fix to this, or can I at least know why this happens?
    I'm stuck here too, tried Install, Graphical Install, LIVE USB and failsafe. None give me another response than the blinking _. Add to that, I get "fail beeps" when booting Kali Linux up from USB. When I use the arrow keys in the menus and hit the last line, it BEEPS loud. When it boots into this menu it beeps loud. When I've made a choice (i.e USB LIVE) it beeps.

I have disabled secure boot, added support for legacy devices, removed the win 8 profile and disabled fast boot.

The fact is that it seems to boot up, at least the menu boots up. From there it's dead. Any ideas?

I've tried Universal USB Installer, Rufus 1.4.9 and Win32 Disk Imager (although that didn't even work on Win 8.1).

Jaapyse, mind telling me a bit more about your hardware?

every time I go to boot from the kali live usb it simply says error booting from kali/x20Live

Please tell me someone knows what is going on

How would you proceed if you'd want to remove KALI from the live USB in which it was installed?

Ok, so I have a live USB Kali drive that I've mostly just used to install Kali onto other machines. Today I decided to try and make it persistent and play around with that, and the setup works, and persistence seems to work, but it is AGONIZINGLY slow. I don't know if it's the PNY32gig I'm using, or some trick of persistence, or something weird that happened during the install processes, but it took an inordinately long time to reach the desktop on boot, iceweasel wouldn't even really open, and it's currently crawling through an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade at the speed of snail.

I'm kind of hoping that it's just the write nature of persistence, and that once I get things set up and boot it Live it'll run at a decent clip, but if it doesn't, should I maybe look at a different kind of USB for my Live boot, or just scrap the whole idea and stick with a dual boot laptop?

Hi,i'm new to Kali Linux, I prepare to install Kali using grub in my USB device (There are already CDLinux and Puppy in the device, so I don't want to erase my device.) I don't know how to write in menu.lst, can anyone please help me ?

Universal USB Installer is working too

Hey everyone
    I've been struggling to install Kali Linux on my pc since the past few days.
    Brief description of my laptop if that matters - Windows 8.1, 64-bit architecture. I've kept a separate partition for Kali Linux with allotted space of 22 GB.
    I've followed all the steps showed in Kali Linux Live USB Install. I've turned off secure boot and I'm not doing UEFI booting. I've set my USB on high priority in boot options. But still when I restart my laptop I'm unable to boot my USB. It just normally starts windows without showing me Kali Linux boot screen. I don't think that I am missing any said guidelines and instructions.
    Can anyone help me with above said problem?