Hi I am booting Kali on a thumb drive, in a windows oriented machine. I am having an issue however because I don?t know if I would need to install all the pre-packaged software and updates before using this machine because it is brand new.

Another problem that I am having is that I really don?t want to blow $300 for anti-virus , as I have been told that I have to install this as well. I don?t know if anyone can confirm this is necessary, or maybe tell me how I can just switch up the OS to MAC OS?

All in all I am going to be using virtual machines and all of that as well.

I am going to be doing pen testing, some programming, coding and working on the deep web, and maybe even going into the dark web maybe to find some lost info that I need to get removed from there.

From what I have heard originally I don?t remember hearing that I needed to take the steps in the first part of my post. However I could be wrong. I am just a bit skeptical about registering a device before doing this stuff.

Even on the actual Linux setup I don?t know if I need some sort of protection or antivirus. I have been told that the virtual machines are enough.