Thread: ALFA AWUS036NHA hacking EEPROM via UART/JTAG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoaduarte View Post
    Hi, i think setting region in EEPROM won't make any difference for the Linux tests, as i've already tampered the regulatory files in my Kali Linux to make country GB allow 33 dBm.
    this might make it fail again. the best way to test eeprom mods would be on a clean OS without patches/backports (live kali/ubuntu) because i read somewhere that ath cards when detect txpower tampering silently drop to 10dBm output.

Quote Originally Posted by mokba View Post
    this might make it fail again. the best way to test eeprom mods would be on a clean OS without patches/backports (live kali/ubuntu) because i read somewhere that ath cards when detect txpower tampering silently drop to 10dBm output.
    @mokba, sorry, but i guess that's bulls**t... Maybe the Windows/Mac drivers provided by Alfa could theoretically do that (very hard to believe they would do it though).

But Linux uses open sources driver + firmware, so everything is managed by the linux open source stuff.

The Alfa card doesn't have any kind of code running by itself that would be able to detect that. There's no onboard MCU to control the AR9271.

So i guess we can discard that possibility.

Now, unless we can understand the open source firmware or find another region EEPROM dump, we're stuck.

For now, i'm stopping these tests and buying an external power amplifier. lol
    Last edited by brunoaduarte; 2016-01-28 at 03:23.