Thread: GSM Capturing, Decoding with USRP and SDR in Kali Linux Rolling Edition

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soxrok2212 View Post
    Do you have any more tips for locking down on an exact frequency? There are 2 in my area (though I think I may have fried my GSM antenna somehow... it vibrates when I flick it... but that's another story) but I'm having trouble locking down. I'll occasionally get a string of data XX XX XX 2b 2b 2b.... but i just can't seem to hone in perfectly on a signal.
    Yes, I was already working on another addition to this thread that will go over that more extensively, give me a couple hours to finish up my work day and I will get one up!

For now, when you are in Volk radio, I recommend double clicking into the frequency selection box, keep that box selected, then just hover your mouse over the signal wave (not all the way at the top) and it will show the exact frequency under your pointer, then enter that into the frequency box and push enter-you should still be selected.

The single biggest recommendation I have is to manually enter the numbers, use the arrow keys to move to where you to change, then backspace and enter a single or multiple digits. Do not use the auto-step (unless you want to change its step levels, Slick has modified his). I usually narrow it down to the center of the wave frequency, then I am usually just working with the last 3 digits in the 9 digit selector. Hope this helps, again I will get a more detailed explanation with screen shots later tonight for everyone that likes the visuals.

I am stoked that your that far! It gets really exciting when you start seeing the decoded signal in Wireshark!

*****two year old not feeling so good, be a day or two before I can get the addition up.*****
    Last edited by scoyok; 2016-02-12 at 06:03. Reason: Update