Thread: How to make a persistent usb Kali2.0 flash drive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Linux, but fairly accomplished with Windows. My goal is to maintain the windows installation I have on my laptop but to be able to boot to Kali from a usb, ideally with persistence.

I'm trying to perform a Graphical install of Kali from a 8gb USB stick (formatted Fat32). I'm on a toshiba laptop and when i switch the boot sequence to load from the USB I'm presented with the Kali menu. I selected Graphical install and after selecting a few language options I have an error under "Load Installer Components From CD", the error reads "Failed to copy file from cd rom". Don't know if its relevant but my laptop doesn't have a cd rom drive. This seems a fairly common problem and so I've tried re inserting the usb drive, various mount commands but I don't really understand them and I've tried installing Kali light but get exactly the same problem.

I have used a variety of tools to install the KAli ISO to my usb drive, rufus, win32diskimager and unetbootin - all have the same problem. I did notice that when using unetbootin that 7zip was reporting some errors when extracting files, not sure if this is significant (screenshot attached)

extracterrorsmall.jpg

MTeams has never tested a amd install of kali live or persistence.

However your screen shot shows you extracting with 7C. We are unsure why you are doing this? The graphical install is for a hard drive install but at the beginning you talk about persistent usb installs.

We have used the steps provided in this tutorial on persistent usb install of kali-linux R2 with no problems within the last three days so read thru the instructions at the beginning of this thread carefully.

In general let win32diskimager(W32) load the iso onto the flash drive. Just point W32 at the kali-linux iso file and at the flashdrive and when W32 is finished you will have a live version (ie no persistence). You will then need another linux operating system to setup the persistence. There is a tutorial for windows only users on how to do this in these forums.

Write back here if you have any problems and someone on MTeams will help you work thru your problems.

If you want to do a hard drive install and want a dual boot windows/kali linux we can give you our methods but there are several tutorials on the subject already and our methods may not work for Windows 8 and 10 users.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-12-23 at 04:00.

Thanks for your detailed response. So clearly the first thing u am doing wrong is using the graphical install, I thought when attempting to run from a USB. I shall try live and see how I get on thank you. 7c is called by the tool I am using to transfer the iso to the USB drive. I shall use W32 as you suggest. Thanks again

I used Win32Imager and installed the iso onto a usb drive, I reboot and boot from the usb and am presented with the kali menu. I click "live" and I just get a beep and am returned to the menu, this happens when i select the other options as well such as live with persistence. There is an error that appears at the bottom of the screen but it disappears so quickly i can't read it. I'm afraid I'm pretty stuck.