I have been using macchanger for a while now and I have never encountered this issue until the other day. When I use the terminal to change the mac address as I always have, I notice the wifi symbol at the top right of the kali screen disappear. However, if I click on that top bar, it still lists me as connected to my network even though the browser will not connect and ping attempts to the net result in a message: Network is unreachable. I can shut off the wifi and then reconnect, however, this resets my mac address also.

The router does not have mac filtering enabled, so it should not do this and it never has until now. Then I tested the same machine on a different network and it had the same behavior, so I was not able to isolate the issue to the network. I performed all update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, linux-headers, and verified my source list, and the problem persists.

Next I tried a different computer running Kali Rolling. It had not been fully updated. I performed the macchange without any of these problems. Great. Then I ran the update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, linux-headers, and verified my source list. Wait a second. Now this machine is behaving like the other one.

Thoughts anyone?