Thread: Dual Booting Kali Linux with Windows 7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi,

I am new here, and I have successfully installed Dual Boot Windows 7 and Kali.
    I used a bootable USB with the Kali image (DVD Rom is not working)
    But after the successful installation of Kali,I am unable to boot to my old Windows 7.

I get this error message:

got this error message:
    “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert Windows installation disk (etc)
    2. Choose language settings
    3. Click “Repair your computer”
    "

Any ideas? Do I need to find a Windows installation Disk?

Quote Originally Posted by aizonic View Post
    Hi,

I am new here, and I have successfully installed Dual Boot Windows 7 and Kali.
    I used a bootable USB with the Kali image (DVD Rom is not working)
    But after the successful installation of Kali,I am unable to boot to my old Windows 7.

I get this error message:

got this error message:
    “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert Windows installation disk (etc)
    2. Choose language settings
    3. Click “Repair your computer”
    "

Any ideas? Do I need to find a Windows installation Disk?
    Read up the thread. Someone has fixed this issue. As for people trying to multiboot on say an HP laptop with factory setup. Here is a quote from a simple google search: "With MBR, you only get 4 primary partitions, and then you must create logical partitions after that, which is frustrating and isn't compatible with certain operating systems." And for Windows 8, it uses a new more secure GUI boot. Duel booting Win7 & 8 is a headache on it's own. If your really set on installing Kali. Make recovery discs on said laptops using given tools by the company or Acronis software, then reformat the whole drive. Set up partitions FIRST. Clean install Windows (Google it), then install Kali using a WIRED connection to your router. OK, I think that solves most the issues I've read. Sorry if it didn't help you.

Morning Lads and Lasses,

Would greatly appreciate getting a bit of help with this.

While installing everything seems to go fine but the installation process hangs when it reaches the installation report phase, if I reboot the install appears not to have gone through.

I'm running windows 7 on an HDD and am trying to install Kali on an SSD, I've tried installing with an image on a CD and on a USB and the result has been the same.

Cheers